Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Guide to this Blog

I have always used a small laptop for publishing to my blogs in the past, but this trip I am using an iPad 2 with a small Zagg bluetooth keyboard.   Blogging on the iPad is different and the learning curve seemed a bit steep last week when I was sorting it all out.  I am using three apps to make everything work as needed:  Blogger, BlogPress, and Blogsy.  It appears that Blogsy will get the most use and that is what I used in the first post.

I want to guide you through the layout of this blog so you can get the most out of it.  

At the top on the left side you will see SPOT.  Click on it and you will get a map showing where we are courtesy of the satellite tracking device, SPOT.  The orange dots will show our progress and a green flag will show where we are staying for the night.  The last known position will be indicated by an icon of an airlane or a boat, or whatever I put there.  In the adjustments box you can change the number of days shown on the map to see as much of our trip as you wish;  there is also a place to leave comments at the bottom of the box.  In the upper right-hand corner of the map you can select map or satellite.  The map display is what comes up when you click on SPOT.  The satellite selection will give you a view from space--if you zoom in, you can probably see the building we are staying in!!

Check Weather and you will see the weather for our current location.  There is a lot of information there and you can use the search box at the top to bring up weather from any place you wish.  I will change the link as we move from one place to another.

The total pageviews will tell you how many hits the blog has received.

You can now seach the blog for specific items--that will be more useful as the blog lengthens.

You can look at my very slim profile and see links to my previous blogs; I may change the picture some day :-)!

On the right side is a new item. If you type in your e-mail address, submit, and follow the directions you will receive an e-mail each day whenever a new post/comment is made to the blog.  I tried it and it works--will keep you in the loop.

You can also sign up as a follower if you wish.

The archive will show you a list of the blog's history and makes it easy to go back and look at previous posts.

I will be putting pictures in the body of the posts so they will be larger and easier to see than in my previous blogs.

At the end of each post  there is a place to comment--please do so as we love the feedback.

I've got a YouTube account now and plan to post videos as well as still pictures--enjoy.

If you have any suggestions, comments, or complaints, let us know!

We leave tomorrow and will go as far as Chicago, then on to Quito on Friday the 20th.

See you south of the equator!

No comments:

Post a Comment